Why Is Process Mapping One Of The Five Steps In Business Process Improvement?
What are the five steps in business process improvement? Where to start process improvement? How much the business process mapping important? There are a lot of questions that come to an entrepreneur’s mind. Let’s find the answer.
Every Entrepreneur knows the struggle of setting up a business.
Having your venture seems very interesting and always takes you into your fantasy world. Still, if the execution and implementation fail, it eventually moves towards the path of struggle.
A business combines multiple processes that help execute the tasks well.
The business processes and systems fail when not implemented properly.
The secret to finding success in any business is creating process maps.
Business Process Mapping eases the way through various business processes in a company.
Hence, Business Process Mapping is considered one of the five steps in business process improvement.
What is Business Process Mapping?
Any data in text format is boring to learn or understand. Still, it becomes easy to understand if the same data is represented in tables, charts, diagrams, etc.
Business Process Mapping does the same with various business processes in an organization.
Through Business Process Mapping, the different processes in a company are represented visually to ease workflow and better understanding.
Business Process Mapping is crucial when a particular business is looking to upscale. It helps in the smoother and faster execution of workflows.
Benefits of Business Process Mapping
The primary reason for listing Business Process Mapping among the five steps in business process improvement is its numerous benefits.
The various benefits of Business Process Mapping are:
- It helps better understand the business processes of every employee in the company.
- It improves the company’s decision-making process.
- The process maps can give an accurate picture of the organization, which eventually helps correct analysis and assessment.
- Business Process Mapping, when incorporated during the business initiations, can help reduce the extra burden while upscaling.
- It minimizes the unnecessary pressure and works fatigue from the employees.
- It helps choose a better investment portfolio for your company.
- Business Process Mapping provides a visual representation of all business processes that increases a company’s visibility.
- It helps provide a balanced and uniform invocation for all the new employees.
- It completely cuts down on redundancies.
- It helps to provide standardized operational norms and systematic control over the functioning of processes in a company.
- It helps to upscale the organization at a faster rate.
- It improves the revenue of the company.
What are the tools used for Business Process Mapping?
Here the question arises, does business process mapping require a specific tool?
Well, the answer is ‘No.’
Business Process Mapping is usually done manually, but an online tool can help save time and increase the efficiency of the process maps.
Some of the popular tools used for Business Process Mapping are:
- Git Mind
- Process Maker.
- BPM App.
- Pro Workflow.
- Mind Meister.
- Visual Paradigm.
- Google Drawings.
All the above tools are used for Business Process Mapping.
Some of the above tools are free, some have paid versions, and some even have an automation option.
Automation in process mapping can help boost the business’s productivity and save a lot of time.
What are the types of Flowcharts used in Business Process Mapping?
The most widely used type of Process Maps is in the form of Flowcharts.
The flowcharts help accomplish one among the five steps in business process improvement, the business process mapping easier and faster.
There are three types of Flowcharts used in Business Process Mapping, they are:
1. Basic Flowchart
- As the name suggests, it is the basic form of a flowchart.
- The data arranged in the basic flowchart helps visualize the process’s activity points.
- It gives an overview of the processes post-execution.
- The overview is provided after removing all the unnecessary tasks that slow down the process.
- It helps to assess and analyze a particular business process well.
2. Business Process Modeling Diagram
- Business Process Modeling Diagram is considered a flowchart style in Business Process Mapping.
- The style uses a fixed language with symbols, which helps decode various tasks.
- A Business Process Modeling Diagram allows identifying tasks with conditions, ways to reject processes, and different insights.
3. Data Flow Diagram
- Data Flow Diagram shows the journey of data from being unprocessed to a processed one.
- It helps to identify the systems in a business that must be linked.
- The linking process will assist in correctly sharing data.
What are the Steps in Process Mapping?
The Business Process Mapping has six well-defined steps.
The following steps help create an efficient process map for various business processes.
- The first step is establishing the objectives and goals for creating the process maps.
- The company owners and stakeholders must establish the objective and goals.
- It helps the employees understand the foundation of the organization.
Identifying the Manual Tasks
- Business Process Mapping can be done manually and through various tools.
- Segregation of manual tasks among the employees is essential.
- It ensures fast and effective business process mapping.
Identifying the System Tasks
- After the manual tasks are segregated, the focus must move toward the system tasks.
- The system tasks should be well-sorted for mapping.
- Every business process is filled with unnecessary tasks which do not require much attention.
- After identifying the manual and systemic tasks, removing all the unnecessary tasks in a business process is crucial.
- It helps to save a lot of time and boosts productivity in a company.
Designate tasks to Employees
- Now is the time to allot tasks to different employees or groups.
- Dividing and assigning tasks will help to finish more tasks in less time.
- The significant advantage is that many tasks happen simultaneously in a single time frame.
- It directly boosts the efficiency of the company’s processes.
Sequencing of tasks
- With a list of tasks in hand, it is essential to divide the charges based on priority.
- Hence, it is essential to sequence the tasks based on priority.
- Some tasks are interrelated; some must be done at first and come at last.
- The above priorities are crucial; hence orderly sequencing of tasks is essential.
Today businesses are growing at a faster pace. There are numerous businesses, both online and offline.
Every Entrepreneur must introduce the discipline of Business Process Management in their company.
For achieving the effectiveness of the Business Process Management in a company, Business Process Mapping will be very helpful.
As we all know by now, the five steps of business process improvement include business process mapping.
A visual representation of very complex data is always encouraged in this world. It is the same job a process map does in an organization.
Entrepreneurs should encourage incorporating newer techniques and technologies in their business to upscale to the roof.